January 2011 is almost over and we have been on the go! After returning to the island for a visit home at Christmas we packed and left again! Justin went to Germany for work and fortunately I was able to join him for part of his time there. While staying in Germany we were able to reconnect with some friends, do some shopping, and visit some local towns. For the MLK holiday we took the high speed train and went to Paris for the day! It was a quick trip but fun. While in Paris we visited the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and the Cathedral of Notre Dame. We were able to see a lot of the city by tour bus but visited the places above. Since it was a quick visit we couldn’t do it all. I never realized how big Paris really is! There is so much history there too. Our overall impression is that Paris is really big, busy, and dirty! There is plenty of nice shopping, restaurants, and hotels but not my favorite of destinations. It was a fun trip and I’m thankful for the opportunity but I can check that off my list! Germany, however, was beautiful. Justin had to work every day so we weren’t able to see much other than the local surroundings. Fortunately, some of our friends live there and were able to show us around. We had a rental car and GPS and got around pretty well on our own. Justin was there a week before me so he had scoped things out and knew his way around. My travels to Germany were not the norm. I was able to fly in a military aircraft to the base in Germany. It was a first for me and I actually enjoyed it. I even got the chance to visit the cockpit and see the incredible views from above. I actually saw Paris from the sky! It was an experience I will remember. To top off the cool flight, when I arrived in Germany Justin met me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a big kiss. The trip was great and we hope to visit Germany again one day.
We are now back on the island and settling into a routine. We are busy here but still enjoying ourselves. Since our time here is getting shorter we are still taking time to appreciate and enjoy our surroundings. This winter has been MUCH better than last because there has been less rain and more sunshine! Maybe that mean we will get an earlier summer and more time at the beach.
Now for the big news for the month!!! We are moving to Colorado Springs for our next assignment. The biggest surprises of all….we are moving in July. We are excited about the move but I have to say I will miss some aspects of the island. The people, the beach, the beautiful summers, and the slow paced life are some of the things that I will miss the most!
Time is flying by, and it will only get busier as we approach our move, but we are soaking up the island while we can!
No comments:
Post a Comment