Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Its Been 8 Months...






I can't believe August is here. On the 13th of this month we will be in The Azores for 8 months. I can say that 8 months ago I didn't feel the way I feel now about this assignment. It has been a blessing in disguise and has given us the opportunity to slow down and appreciate the simple things in life. I have learned to like European fashion and have made some purchases, that before, I would never have made. Hammer pants are definitely in here, and yes I bought a pair! We have met friends and experienced much of the culture here. In fact, this week the biggest festival of the islands is taking place 5 minutes from our house. "Praia Fest" is a weeklong PARTY that celebrates culture, art, food, and music. There is a weeklong schedule of festivities ranging from parades, races, concerts, bullfights, sports competitions, and dancing. There is even a "Tent City" where people come from other islands and mainland Portugal and live in a field for a week. The only problem is they start everything late and stay up ALL night! It isn't bad for them because I think most of the Portuguese shut down for the week! We have visited on the weekend but the weeknights we haven't tried to hang. This year there is a concert by American pop singer Colbie Cailat and many other local bands. I', not sure what all we will make it to but we enjoyed the opening parade of floats and will enjoy the last day at the beach bullfight for sure. I'll be sure to update you on any other fun we may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment