Monday, November 29, 2010

A Season of Thanks...








It’s hard to believe that November is coming to an end. We missed our family at Thanksgiving, but we still have much to be thankful for. Justin had the opportunity to take some leave and spend most of the month doing what he loves most…besides me…deer hunting. He spent some time in SC and Kentucky and was able to harvest two deer. While he was away, I took advantage of the time and completed an online class for my nursing continuing education. I missed Justin but had a lot of great people on the island that kept check on me. Justin was back in time for Thanksgiving and we were able to spend the day with friends. It was my first year cooking the whole Thanksgiving meal but I enjoyed it very much. Besides the usual turkey and sides I have to say my favorite was the homemade cheesecake. Looking back I should have taken pictures of the spread but too late now! I guess I’ll have to make it again.
Some of our great friends that we met here are now new parents. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, they will not be returning to the island. Until there new plans are settled and secure we have a new addition at our house, their Westie, Miles. He is a cute dog and has been good company so far.
Another great accomplishment for me was that I ran my first 10K and finished in 52 minutes. Justin was great and ran with me even though he is a lot faster than me. I was so happy when I finished and now ready to train for a half marathon. I have always said I hate running but that goes to show you if you work hard at something you can learn to enjoy it.
When we moved here to The Azores we had a weight limit and were not able to bring much besides the necessities. With that said my Christmas decorations got put in storage. I had decided I just wouldn’t decorate since we get to go home for Christmas this year. Well, I changed my mind. It was really sad to see other trees and lights and our house felt bare. I told Justin we had to do something. There are not live trees here so I bought two 4 foot trees and have them on tables inside. I decorated them and in the future can use them outside or with my other decorations. I also did some decorating to my dining room table. It isn’t much but enough to feel cozy and bring a little Christmas spirit.
As November comes to an end I think of the many blessings we have to be thankful for: great families, a loving marriage, Jesus saving us, health, friends, deer hunting, and the opportunity to experience another part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment